birding-aus

Re: Powerful Owls [was: Journey from Adelaide to Sydney]

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: Powerful Owls [was: Journey from Adelaide to Sydney]
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 08:04:24 +1100
Trevor Quested wrote:

> Powerful Owl.  As this bird is so big and perches in the tops of trees it is
> possible to see it.  Sometimes.

My first (and so far, only) glimpse of a Powerful Owl was at head height.
I was following a Superb Lyrebird off the Red Hill track at Tidbinbilla
Nature Reserve outside of Canberra, which headed into a thicket of
Blanketbush
near the creek.  When I entered the thicket, I stood for a minute or so
looking down towards the creek to see where the Lyrebird had gone.  The
Powerful Owl (though I didn't know it then) flew past me into my line of
sight and out of the thicket.  Turning around to where it had been, I saw
the remains of its last meal (a possum or glider) slung over a branch
of the Blanketbush at head height (6 feet) only a couple of metres away!
I guess that the reason I had gotten so close was because I didn't see it,
or it was fast asleep.

I heard it calling several times from it's new perch (probably abusing me)
but I couldn't relocate it that afternoon or on subsequent trips to the
same location.

    Paul Taylor                                Veni, vidi, tici -
                          I came, I saw, I ticked.