birding-aus

Northern Vic.

Subject: Northern Vic.
From: stuart dashper <>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:25:36 +1100
Dear all,

I have had a request for information about the Muckleford forest area
(located between Maldon and Castlemaine in North-central Victoria, 37 03
lat 144 06 long). Apparently mining exploration leases have been granted in
this area and some locals are trying to determine the importance of the
area in terms of wildlife in case mining does proceed at a later date.
Mining in these areas is usually for gold and can have a very high impact
on the environment especially is surface mining techniques are used.
Therefore if anyone knows of any surveys of avifauna that have been
conducted in recent times I would be glad to pass these details onto them.
Surveys do not have to have been extensive, any interesting records would
be of use.

Thanks

Stuart Dashper
Conservation Officer