birding-aus

Aristotle (384-322 BC) A big lister

To: "Birding-aus" <>, "Birdchat" <>
Subject: Aristotle (384-322 BC) A big lister
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 08:34:54 +1100
I have started reading a North American book called "Watching Birds. An introduction to Ornithology" by Roger F. Pasquier.  In chapter two, "How and Why Birds are Studied", I quote:

"To our knowledge, Aristotle (384-322 BC) was the first person to look at birds scientifically, describing what he considered to be 170 varieties and discussing their physiology, reproduction, and ecology. Aristotle was the first to make systematic classification of birds based on observation and dissection, he divided birds into eight groups."

I thought I should check my 1986 Greek list and found I had seen only 135 species in 10 days using Zeiss binoculars, a field guide and an Ornitholidays booklet on where to see birds in Greece by Michael Sheppard.  I wonder how far he travelled, where and what the list of birds he described and what were the eight groups?
Trevor

Trevor  & Annie Quested
Sydney,  Australia

Phone   +61 2 9955 6266