birding-aus

Please send us your bird records for October!

Subject: Please send us your bird records for October!
From: Naomi Hawkins <>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:06:15 GMT
Dear All,

I am writing to request your urgently needed support for the 4th NTT World
Bird Count. For those of you who do not know, the Nippon Telephone and
Telegraph Corporation (NTT) generously donates 1,000 Yen for every bird
species seen or heard during the month of October, ANYWHERE in the world.
This is the fourth such event organised by BirdLfe International's Partner
in Japan, the Wild Bird Society of Japan.

The money raised goes towards BirdLife's Important Bird Area (IBA) programme
in Asia - all you have to do is send in your bird records from October and
you will be raising money for conservation!!

Last year 5,935 species were recorded in 88 countries which resulted in a
donation of 5,935,000 Yen. This year, so far, the count is lower and we
really need to push the figures up if we can, so I am writing to you to ask
if you can help us. Please send your list of bird species recorded during
the month of October - IT'S AS SIMPLE AS THAT!!

You can either send them directly to me by email and I will pass them on to
NTT, or you can send them directly yourself to NTT, but please do so before
the end of November. Records can be sent to NTT by fax, email or directly
off the WEB where all you need to do is tick those species you observed on a
checklist for the region you visited.

FAX
+81 (3) 5444 3380

EMAIL (please ask for the email entry form from this address):

WEB
For the submission forms, see:
http://www.wnn.or.jp/wnn-n/w-bird/wbc_form/list_e.html
For information about the NTT count, see:
http://www.wnn.or.jp/wnn-n/w-bird/index_e.html

NTT need to know the date of when the species was seen or heard, and where
it was. The more specific the location details, the better, but please don't
be put off sending in your records if you don't know the lattitude and
longitude of your records! Just give the name of where you saw them: it's
the species observed that is crucial!!!

 NTT are also interested in the number of participants taking part in the
count, so please tell us how many people you went birdwatching with during
October. Lastly, please include your name and address.

The species information received goes onto the World Bird Count Web Site and
on the site there is also information about the IBA programme, both in Asia
and globally.

If you can help us it would be a fantastic boost to the results - REMEMBER
THAT FOR EACH NEW SPECIES YOU CAN ADD TO THE LIST, BIRDLIFE WILL RECEIVE AN
EXTRA 1,000 YEN!!!! We will let you know what the final figure is.

Thank you in anticipation.

Yours sincerely,

Naomi

====================================