birding-aus

Re: Cairns Crocodile Farm turns up trumps

Subject: Re: Cairns Crocodile Farm turns up trumps
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 15:49:37 +0800

Richard Nowotny reported White-browed Crake, Spotless Crake, Black Bittern,
Little Bittern and Buff-banded Rail at the Cairns Crocodile Farm near
Edmonton just south of Cairns.

I agree that this is a site that you should not miss.  I have always had a
memorable visit.  They are very helpful, and ask for a bird list and map
when you enter.  In the past I have seen specialties such as :

Baillon's Crake, Little Kingfisher, Mangrove Robin, Shining Flycatcher,
Painted Snipe, etc.

I have also met people who have reported Lewin's Rail and Bush Hen.

I would like to think that other crocodile farms (e.g. Broome, Wyndham)
would also landscape their areas for similar habitats.