birding-aus

Re: Birding around Melbourne; birding around Port Moresby & Lae,

Subject: Re: Birding around Melbourne; birding around Port Moresby & Lae,
From: "Timothy Nye Dolby" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 17:03:51 +1000
With a question like this you are probably getting heaps of
response of good bird spots.

In regards to Melbourne - there are many good spots around
Melbourne, so to give one in the heart of the city I can
recommend the 'Studley Park' or 'Fairfeild' Boat House's,
on the Yarra River (both are about a 15 minute drive from
the heart of the city.

You are likely to see lots of parrots here, including
Rainbow Lorikeets, Eastern Rosella, Red Rumped Parrots,
White Cockatoos, Galah's, and maybe Black Cockatoo, and a
few others to boot.

Other birds of note include Darter's (your Snake
Bird), Nankeen Knight Herons, Dusky Woodswollows, Eastern
Shrike Tits, the Blue Wren, and Red Browed Finches, and the
list goes on.

In regards to a book to recommend - Slater's is still an
excellent resources, however there are a few
others - maybe 'Simpson and Day' - Field Guide to the
Birds of Australia' for its general information.

If you need more information please let me know.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby

> This is my first post to this list - hope this works!
>
> I will be in Melbourne and Papua New Guinea (Port Moresby and probably Lae)
> from mid-November until the end of the first week in December.  I would be
> interested in recommendations for local trips in these areas.  I am
> particularly interested in weekend trips.
>
> The only related birding I have done in the South Pacific is in Queensland,
> Malaysian Borneo, and New Zealand (South Island).  I have a guide to the
> birds of New Zealand, and an old copy of a Slater field guide to Australian
> birds.  Is there a better field guide for Australia available now?
>
> Any advice welcomed.
>
> Rocky Rothrock
> Holmdel, NJ
> USA