birding-aus

[no subject]

To: "Birding Aus." <>
From: "J.Reside" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 19:02:56 +1100
Dear Birders,

A friend is travelling through Gippsland and along the south-east coast of
New South Wales as far as Narooma over the next few days, between 2-6th. He
would love to spot a Lewins Rail during the trip. Can anyone suggest any
sites or people who could be contacted for further info.

Also a friend has asked what is the best time to survey birds in the winter
in the temperate regions. My automatic response was to say first thing in
the morning, crack of dawn etc. However in recent times when I have been in
the field during the colder months I have noticed more birds about during
the mid afternoon or when the sun was shining. Does anyone have any ideas
on this.

Thanks

Jim Reside