birding-aus

Problematic quail/button-quail in Singapore

Subject: Problematic quail/button-quail in Singapore
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:24:03 -0400
G'day all

My recently posted trip report from Singapore included the Barred
Button-quail.  This was on the basis of three birds seen together at the
top of Pearl's Hill City Park.  PHCP is a hill near Chinatown with a large
water storage facility at the top and lots of dense trees and shrubs.  The
water storage is fenced-off and surrounded by grass.  I saw three quail
(or button-quail) here through the fence.  They weren't bothered by my
presence and I was able to watch them for several minutes.

My notes say "something like a Stubble Quail but without the head
markings, plain buff underneath".  All three were similar in plumage.  The
size is right for the Barred Button-quail but they were definitely not
barred underneath as shown in field guides.  From memory the resident
species are BB-q and King Quail (much smaller than my birds).  The guide I
purchased is the new one by a chap whose name I can't remember.  It
doesn't list any introduced quail so I included BB-q on my list.

If anyone can shed some light on the identification of my birds please do
so.

Cheers

Steve

Stephen Clark
Agriculture Victoria, Pastoral & Veterinary Institute
Private Bag 105  HAMILTON  3300  Australia
Phone 0355 730 977   Fax 0355 711 523