birding-aus

1998 Twitchathon

To: "'Ozbird Mail'" <>
Subject: 1998 Twitchathon
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 13:36:35 +1000
Hi birders

There's been little if any chat on this year's Twitchathon, so I thought it
timely to rectify that.

My team, the Common Driving-Petrolheads - Lawrie Conole, Grant Baverstock,
Susan Myers and Stuart Dashper, have a patchy record in this event.  Our
history so far includes totals of 158, 159 and 189, but with minimal
preparation this year and lousy conditions in Victoria (too much water, very
windy, ....), we are less confident than usual.

This weekend just past, 3 of us (LC, SD, SM) conducted a reconoitre of some
of our sites from Terrick Terrick National Park (near Echuca) dow to
Whipstick State Park and State Forest near Bendigo - all in central
Victoria.  With so much water around, waterbirds are spread widely and
thinly (grammar!!).  At one formerly magnificent pool at the Bendigo Sewage
Farm, we had a close encounter with a rival team, the Very Serious
Birdwatchers - also on reconoitre, and exchanged pleasantries about how hard
1998 will be.  Snippets of information were carefully exchanged so as not to
give away key sites, etc. - something like happens at the border zone
between the 2 Koreas I imagine.

So with bad weather (thunderstorms, high winds, hail, rain), attached below
are our modest findings of about 120 species from a few sites between
Terrick Terrick and Bendigo, for your interest.  Most of this has been
"atlassed".

Looking for a team to sponsor?  Look no further than ours - here are the
details:

Lawrie Conole
Grant Baverstock
Stuart Dashper
Susan Myers

Cheers, Lawrie

Lawrie Conole
Fitzroy North, Victoria, Australia
37°46'57"S  144°58'45"E

Tel AH +61 3 9486 4575

http://www.users.bigpond.com/ocoineoil/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TWITCHATHON RECONOITRE TO TERRICK TERRICK & BENDIGO
17 - 18 OCTOBER 1998.

Lawrie Conole, Stuart Dashper & Susan Myers.

Australasian Grebe
Musk Duck
Grey Teal
Chestnut Teal