birding-aus

Re: We're going off the air for a little while

To: Margaret Cameron <>
Subject: Re: We're going off the air for a little while
From: "Alex J. Saar" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 08:11:16 +0800
Hi Margaret and other interested bodies

You raise several different issues in what appears to be one simple
problem. I shall make two suggestions for you (and others) to try.

Suggestion One:

As you are using Eudora Pro, you can avoid receiving attachments.

In my version (Eudora Light 3.1):
        * From the "Special" menu, select "Settings"
        * Scroll down the scroll bar on the left and select "Attachments"
          This will change the display on the right of the dialog box.
        * Select the check box called "Trash attachments with messages"
          It now has a cross in it.
        * Click "OK".

In Eudora Pro, the settings may be somewhere else, but they WILL be there,
as it is more powerful than Eudora Light.

This, of course, will prevent you from receiving ALL attachments. Your wish
for something that will "avoid getting attachments of THIS kind" is not
possible for you, as the recipient. But it MAY be possible--see Suggestion
Two.

Remember, you can change your settings on Eudora as often as you like. So
you can "turn on" the attachments BEFORE you receive email from someone who
is sending you something for publication.

Suggestion Two--educate the sender:

Multiple copies of the same message: I have seen this from people using
their web browser (Netscape or Microsoft Internet Explorer) to send email.
One message is in plain text and the other (in the same posting) has the
identical message, but is surrounded by HTML tags--so it looks a mess in
Eudora. And then the message has arrived three or four times (so I get 6 or
8 copies of it).

When you receive messages like this, especially in a discussion list like
birding-aus, write back to the SENDER with this request:

When sending email to the discussion list (or to ME), please change the
settings on your browser so that "Include HTML" is NOT selected.

If the sender is using Microsoft Outlook Express, change the settings to
"SEND TEXT", rather than "Send HTML". (Messages from Outlook Express that
are not sent as text may appear blank to some people).

Have fun
Cheers
Alex