birding-aus

Kites, parrots and apostlebirds

Subject: Kites, parrots and apostlebirds
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 14:00:20 +1000
Travelling from Melbourne to the Capertee Valley (~1000 km) on 1 October I
saw a Black Kite at Wangaratta, the same (?) bird was in the same place on
my return on 8 October.  Are these regular in north-east Victoria.

Another nice bird were Superb Parrots seen at Cootamundra.  Not unusual I
know but a very nice suprise when you're not thinking about them seeing
them.  They were then seen regularly through Young to Cowra with the last
13 birds seen at Carcoar.  Interesting to note, given recent discussion
that all were male.  Is this sighting of importance Alan?  Morris, McGill &
Holmes give the eastern limit as Cowra (admittedly not that far to the
west).

Another unexpected sighting were Apostlebirds at Koorawatha just south of
Cowra.  Consulting my trusty Morris, McGill & Holmes again I see they range
east to Cowra.  Close enough.

Of considerable interest on the trip north were the immense number of
migrating butterflies for the entire 1000 km.  I tentatively counted (not
identified !) five species.  Stuart Pell, travelling from Brisbane to the
Capertee also reported the same experience for his entire trip.

The trip back, in temperatures 10 to 15 degrees cooler, resulted in a count
of zero butterflies.  Bring back the butterflies !!

David Geering