birding-aus

An amusing bird story

Subject: An amusing bird story
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 12:07:57 +1000
Hi all, I thought I'd pass on this cute bird story I read in New
Scientist recently. Could fall under the title of Urban Myths, but
who cares, its a funny story.  And just what is a"grizzled-looking
cowpoke" anyway?

Lainie Berry, Monash University

On his first trip across the Atlantic, a British bird-watcher was
observing a flock of western sandpipers feeding on a Californian
coastal marsh. When a group of Audubon Society field-trippers
arrived, he thought he'd do his bit for Anglo-American relations by
explaining how rare these birds were in Britain and how to identify
them.

Getting carried away, he began giving the crowd a long lecture on
sandpipers, explaining how western sandpipers could be distinguished
from semipalmated sandpipers by "jizz", the phrase used by British
bird-watchers to describe subtle indentification points and hints.

At that point the 20-strong group scurried away, raincoats billowing.
The British twitcher's perplexed look was greeted with a calming arm
around his shoulder and the comforting words of the group leader, a
grizzled-looking cowpoke.

"You Brits sure know yer stuff" , he mused in pure Texan. "I've heard
you can tell these damned peeps apart many ways, but that real beats
me. Jizz...wow"

Later that evening, a friend explained that in the US, jizz is slang
for semen.