birding-aus

Regent Honeyeater

Subject: Regent Honeyeater
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:14:06 +1000
WANTED:  Birdwatcher to undertake regular, preferably monthly, surveys  for
Regent Honeyeaters in the Killawarra area of north-eastern Victoria.

The last remaining stronghold of the Regent Honeyeater in Victoria appears
to be the Chiltern area.  Given the small number of birds at this location
in the last couple of years there are real concerns that the Victorian
population is in BIG trouble.  An effort is being made to regularly census
other known "hot-spots" in north-east Victoria in the hope of finding
additional important sites for Regent Honeyeaters and try and establish the
population size in Victoria.  The Killawarra area is a site where Regents
have been regularly reported in the past.  The habitat suggests that there
is no reason why it should not be as important a breeding area as Chiltern
yet there is insufficient information to determine if this is the case.

I am looking for a birdwatcher, or group,  preferably from the north-east
Victoria/Albury area, that would be prepared to undertake regular surveys
in this area.

Please reply directly to me but please note that I will be off-line 1-12
October.

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
Ph.  (03) 9412 4297 or Freecall 1800 621 056