birding-aus

Re: Bird viruses

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: Bird viruses
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:05:20 +1000
While we've been discussing use of viruses to control feral birds, let's
not forget the very real problem that introduced diseases, whether
virus, bacterial, fungal, or parasitic, pose to Australian native
birds.  This weekend saw the announcement of 2 outbreaks of Newcastle
Disease at outer Sydney poultry farms.  By coincidence I also received a
phonecall from my seafaring son, whose ship (which shall be nameless)
had just docked at Darwin, and took the opportunity to take on fresh
supplies.. "I had a row with the Captain. We had all these old eggs from
Singapore and he said to dump them, so I said,'You must not do that,
they must be burnt!'" The captain is English and at first could not see
the point. The suspect eggs were eventually disposed of in the correct
manner. Whether without interference they would have gone into a bin on
the wharf or in the sea I don't know- probably the latter. But how many
ships have environmentally aware Australian staff on board?
This one is a real worry.  Anthea Fleming