birding-aus

SOOTY OWLS AT ROYAL NATIONAL PARK - 19th SEPTEMBER 1998

Subject: SOOTY OWLS AT ROYAL NATIONAL PARK - 19th SEPTEMBER 1998
From: "Vella, Edwin" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 08:04:48 +1000
SOOTY OWLS AT ROYAL NATIONAL PARK - 19th  SEPTEMBER 1998

Last Saturday evening, I had quite a lengthy and interesting observation of
one of 2 Sooty Owls that were present at the southern end of Lady Carrington
Drive near Waterfall in Sydney's Royal National Park (approx 20 km south of
Sydney). I was with David Koffel and Dean Portelli who both have not seen
Sooty Owls but got more than what they bargained for.

At approximately 6:30 pm, we heard a pair of Sooty's making screeching
sounds typical of all Tyto Owls. These sounds were heard for about 2 hours
within this area. The only other call heard was a "Scream" given by one of
the pair,  but no falling bomb whistle or trilling sounds that they often
make. (I have found through my experience with both the Lesser and Greater
Sooty Owls, is that calls of the former are much more higher pitched than
the later).

We were able to see in the spotlight one of the Owls interesting hunting
behaviours. The Owl was perched briefly in a Casuarina, waiting patiently
for any prey on the ground below. The Owl then flew down to the ground but
apparently missed on seizing any prey. It stayed on the ground for a while
then flew into a number of trees. At one moment it was seen perched
horizontally along the trunk of a tree just like that of an Eastern Yellow
Robin (Does anybody know that this sort of behaviour is only restricted to
the Sooty Owls ?).  It then later perched on a horizontal branched and faced
us, continual screeching. (Its mate at this time seized to be heard). Here
this Owl stayed for quite some time, providing excellent filming
opportunities. The owl blinked its eyes a number of times and moved its head
side to side as if it heard some prey. When it seemed to have located
something from  looking down below, it flew down  but missed. It then flew
up to another branch and continued with its screeching calls.

After having this brilliant observation, we decided that we better leave the
Owl alone and we went on spotlighting for other things. Boobook Owls, Owlet
Nightjars, Small Bats, Sugar Gliders and a Brush-tailed Possum were our
other finds. The Sooty was still calling at the same spot we last observed
it just before we left at about 9:30 pm.

A pleasant and quite humid evening.

Edwin Vella

P.S. I have read in todays "Daily Telegraph" that there will be a
biodiversity study in this National Park this week with volunteers playing
tapes to bring in the Owls, aswell as trying to find Platypus and other
wildlife. Tape recorders are not necessary to see the Sooty Owls though as
we have found.