birding-aus

Re: Bird Trivia Question for All

Subject: Re: Bird Trivia Question for All
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:17:21 +1000
 wrote:

>         What is the name of the bird which was featured in a cartoon
> with a bone tied
> to its head?  The bird would take a few steps and then all of a sudden
> it
> would hop!  This peculiar walk/hop was done to the music of Fingles
> Cave
> Overture.  The first one to answer correctly gets to request a free
> whistling
> wav of a song of their choice (if I know it).
>
> Robert Stemmons - The Whistler
>
> <A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/~whistling_man/index.html";>
> http://members.tripod.com/~whistling_man/index.html</A>
I remember this bird vividly! It used to appear in a cartoon about a
small black African boy with ambitions as a hunter, called Impi.
It is probably now rated politically incorrect but was actually quite
funny.  Appeared a few years back on a re-broadcast of Warner bros
cartoons locally hosted by a pretty girl called Sophie. No idea what
channel.
I had a vague notion that the bird might have been one of the Ground
Hornbills - perhaps the bone was its crest? I dont actually recall the
bone but description of its gait is spot-on - the hop usually came just
as whatever was stalking it pounced, so it escaped while apparenly
completely unaware of the predator. It was so memorable that 'Fingal's
cave' is now known to us as the Impi-Bird Tune.
Best wishes, Anthea Fleming