birding-aus

honeymooning in Cairns

Subject: honeymooning in Cairns
From: lorne <>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 13:52:47 +0000
Well, Friday week I'm up to Cairns and the Atherton Tablelands for my
honeymoon!!!!!!!!!!!!! A few things...

1. Has anyone on Birding-Aus seen a Red Goshawk or Black-breasted
Buzzard in the wild? Can you tell me about physical and field
characteristics... I've summarised the guides etc. (look out for
terminal bands, colour of tail, fingered wing ends etc.) but would love
info. from people who've actually seen them. What should I really look
out for??????

2. If anyone has any updates re. current places for Rufous Owl, Little
Kingfisher, White-browed Crake, Pied and White-eared Monarch,
Large-tailed nightjar, Bush Hen, boatbills, pratincoles up that way,
please can you mail me???!!!

3. How long would it take to drive from Mount Molloy to Cooktown? It's
about 235km.

4. How long to the tip of Cape York from Mount Molloy???? About seven,
eight hours. It's over 700km up there.

5. What are Kuranda and Barron Gorge like? Worth visiting????

6. How far is Redmill House from Mossman? Is it right on the Daintree
River????

Cheers and happy birding all,

LORNE.