birding-aus

Birdwatching Trip from Darwin to Broome

To: Gil Langfield <>
Subject: Birdwatching Trip from Darwin to Broome
From: Kirrama Wildlife Tours <>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:32:30 +1000
Hi Aus-birders and Gil,
a bit of an update on the bird spots:

>White-throated Grasswren:  I was not confident to drive the camper van
>across the creek (under repair) to Gunlom Falls (Waterfall Creek) and so
>looked for this species near Plum Tree Creek.  Danny Rogers had reported
>seeing it there as had someone in an article in an old "Wingspan".  I
>looked about 2 km NW of the Plum Tree Creek crossing for about 2.5 hours
>without success.

I saw them last there Nov.97, couldn't locate them again this month, but a
pair was present at Gunlom on the 7.9.98

>Gouldian Finch:  This was the big disappointment.  The sites around
>Katherine (Fergusson River, Chinaman's Creek) did not yield any birds
>because following the floods earlier this year (?) there was still plenty
>of water everywhere and the birds were probably dispersed.

On the 6.9. there was still too much water around, but we did see one pair
(red & black phase) feeding with other finches at Chinaman Creek.

>White-quilled Rock-Pigeon:  I saw one at the escarpment walk just past the
>Victoria River Roadhouse which did not appear to have any white in the
>wings.  Later, I saw pairs at the Grotto with very prominent white quills.

Plenty at the Mitchell Plateau, also on Lake Argyle.

>Purple-crowned Fairy Wren:  I looked for these at the Victoria River
>Roadhouse in the afternoon and evening but did not see them until the
>following morning, in the same place.

Also seen on Lake Argyle.

>Pictorella Mannikin:  I looked in all the places, Parry Lagoons, Ivanhoe
>Road without success.

We didn't see any either!

>Yellow-rumped Mannikin:  I saw many of these with Chestnut-breasted
>Mannikins off Riverfarm Road, the location described accurately by Frank
>O'Connor.

Yes, including hundreds of Star Finches.

>Yellow Chat:  I went on the afternoon cruise on Lake Argyle - there is no
>regular morning cruise - and made it very clear to all concerned that I was
>interested in seeing the YC.  Not until we were on the way back did the
>person in charge tell me that since the level of the water in the lake was
>very low, it was difficult to find the YCs and so they did not bother.
>Apparently, one has to organise a special trip and be there when it runs.
>In my case there was one a week later, which may in fact have been
>cancelled.  I also looked in the location at Parry Lagoons as described by
>Frank O'Connor without success.

We took the Lake Argyle cruise as a charter in the morning on the 8.9., but
had the same problem. We searched and walked several areas, but no Chats.
However, we did find on the 9.9. two juveniles at Parry's Lagoon, plus
about 12 Oriental Plovers. Also 4 Oriental Plovers on the Mitchell Plateau
airstrip on the 10.9.98
And yes, there are still Black Grasswrens near the Mitchell Falls.
Happy Birding,  Klaus

Kirrama Wildlife Tours   Klaus & Brenda Uhlenhut
PO Box 133   SILKWOOD  QLD   Australia
http://www.gspeak.com.au/kirrama