birding-aus

Swifties across Australia

Subject: Swifties across Australia
From: Simon Kennedy <>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:26:17 -0712 (EDT)

Hello birders,

While Swift Parrots are cruising around Bruny Island in Tasmania, there are
still
others being seen around Toowoomba!  I kid you not!  There are also swifties
around in the Maryborough and Bendigo areas.  Why Swift Parrots would remain
in Queensland until mid September is beyond me.  I would be interested in other
Queensland records from the last few years-  I have received a few lately, and
it
appears that there are Queenland records from four of the last five years,
which
means the movement that far north is more regular than we thought.

Spring truly starts for me with the song of the Rufous Whistler.  I saw and
heard
many at Terrick Terrick National Park in northern Victoria at the weekend,
along
with the marvellous Western Gerygone and some Mallee Ringnecks.

Simon Kennedy