birding-aus

Wildlife\Scientific ilistration course Melbourne

Subject: Wildlife\Scientific ilistration course Melbourne
From: (John Moverley)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 98 20:59:30 GMT
Dear all,

Kate Nolen (Nee Tompson) an ilistrater I work with at Museum Victoria (working
on marine invertebrates not birds) is offering courese in scientific\Wildlife
ilistrated.

Below is a message which gives the details of this if anyone is interested.

John MOverley.

If anyone is interested, I am teaching a course in scientific and /or wildlife
illustration out at the Field Naturalists' Club, Blackburn starting in October.
It will run for 7 weeks, with one 3-hour class each week. The classes are very
relaxing, no previous training is necessary, just an interest!  And it's fun to
take home a piece of original artwork. (Christmas gift perhaps?)

If you wish to know more please contact myself : (museum) 9284 0206 or
 mobile: 018 178 572
 or the Field Naturalist's Club directly on: 9877 9860.

 More info:

 The course at the Field Nats' club starts monday 5th October and runs from
10am to 1pm monday mornings (seven weeks) and will cost $150 for nonmembers and
$130 for members (as an incentive to join no doubt!!) Free tea and coffee and
bikkies, by the way!

However for those busy working types who can't swing a monday morning off, I
must let you know that I am also teaching the same thing at Box Hill TAFE,
starting mid-October (roughly-tbc) and running for seven weeks on Thursday
evenings, 6.30-9pm. The bonus here is that it is cheaper (around $130 I think,
also to be confirmed) and I know the facilities are a teeny bit better, though
one must pay for one's own cuppas here!.

Contact:
Sandra Weaver- Hall on 9286 9687 for a short course booklet to be sent to you.

As far as subject matter goes: I try to encourage students in whatever they
want to do, within the bounds of realist botanical/wildlife illustration. For
instance, some people want to produce a fine full colour botanical illustration
in watercolour and I teach them how to do this. Others may want to do a bird
portrait or an insect (butterfly or something more unusual) so I teach the
general rules of the technique (planning, drawing and painting) and then go
into specifics for each student's chosen subject as I get around to them. Some
may wish to be quite scientific, so that their work can later be used in their
daily work as a scientist or whatever, and I can concentrate on this for them
or others may wish to be more "impressonist" and I help them achieve this too.
And finally, even if you don't know what you want to do, we will find something!

Materials needed: I always bring plenty of rough paper, pencils, paints and
whatever to 'top up' those who dont have them on the day, however, for the
first day you need to bring - grey-lead pencils: HB at least, plus 2B and 2H
preferably  - paper: Rough sketch paper: light cartridge of A3 size is best
though butcher's paper will do - any watercolour/gouache paints and paper you
may already have. I then tell you what you will need for subsequent classes,
though generally it will be watercolour paper (around A3 size and at least
340gsm) and paints (at least one good blue, red and yellow) and brushes (sizes
00 to 2 at least, 000, 5, 10, as you can afford). Buy the best quality you can
afford, especially in brushes and paints.

 I supply notes with each class too.

In case you are wondering, I have taught such courses before... I have a
Science Degree, and a  Grad Dip in Art and one in Education too. I have been
with the Crustacea Department at the Museum for 2-3 years now (though I know I
have kept a low profile, and changing my name from Thompson to Nolan after my
marriage confuses things) and am currently still working here roughly 1-2 days
per week. The rest of my time is spent in freelance illustration, or trying to
find it: an illustrator is always interested in work!!

I hope this has answered your questions. If you have any more please continue
to email me or call 018 178 572. My work can be seen on our website at:

 http://wwwalphalink.com.au/~timnkate

I can also be emailed at home on

All are very welcome and I would love to see you at either course