birding-aus

Re: Atlas kits

Subject: Re: Atlas kits
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 16:53:21
Hi John -

At 11:06 01/09/1998 +1000,  wrote:

>the grid size seems to have gone back up to a 1
>degree block for total coverage of Australia
> However is it still true that the final grid size will be smaller if they
get a good enough
>response?

The one degree grid is a default minimum for Australia as a whole, as it is
thought that it proably will not be possible to get ten minute coverage
overall (that is lists from each single ten minute block).  However, the
more settled and travelled areas will get ten minute or finer coverage, and
we will encourage as fine a coverage as possible.

>Secondly I was wondering how the dissemination of bird sightings affects
the collection of data especially in regard to
>the abundance of birds
>However with rapid dissemination of sightings (eg internet and other
birding groups) will
>this affect this data

This is a hypothetical problem with community bird atlassing.  It should
not be a serious problem in practice as (with precise point locations) hot
spots for particular species will stand out as anomalies and can be treated
as outliers statistically.  Towards the end of the main atlassing period
the distribution (and inferred abundance from reporting rate) will be
examined for such anomalies.

Thanks for raising the subject.
Cheers,  Hugo.

Hugo Phillipps,
Birds Australia Conservation & Liaison,
Australian Bird Research Centre,
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East, VIC 3123, Australia.
Tel: (03) 9882 2622. Fax: (03) 9882 2677.
O/s: +61 3 9882 2622. Fax: +61 3 9882 2677.
Email: <>
Web Homepage: http://www.vicnet.net.au/~birdsaus/