birding-aus

Re: Aircraft bird strikes and urban legends.

To: Syd Curtis <>
Subject: Re: Aircraft bird strikes and urban legends.
From: Eric Hocking <>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 14:52:47 +1000
Do you want this one Vicki?  Or shall I?

Syd Curtis wrote:
> The gun was set to a little over the maximum design speed of the train, and
> fired.

>      "Do you think we should have thawed the chicken out first?"

There is a series of folklorish tales revolving this tool.  But the chicken
gun does exist.

For a run down http://www.urbanlegends.com is your friend.

Also a quick follow to Paul Taylor's "Funny Banding Story" of the 7th
August.  Paul's instincts were right on the urban myth.  I ran it past
alt.folklore.urban and after a number of "think this is an old joke" got
this, from Charles Dimmick, showing just how old it was:

-----------  Start  -------------

The metal strips used to band birds are inscribed: "Notify
        Fish and Wild Life Service, Washington, D.C." They used
        to read "Washington Biological Survey," abbreviated to
        "Wash.Biol.Surv." This was changed after an Alberta
        farmer shot a crow and disgustedly wrote the U.S.
        Government: "Dear Sirs: I shot one of your pet crows the
        other day and followed instruction attached to it. I washed
        it and biled it and surved it. It was turrible. You should
        stop trying to fool the people with things like this . . . ."

        ------ Hugh Newton in _Liberty_  [194_?]

Reprinted in "Fun Fare - A Treasury of Reader's Digest Wit and Humor
Copyright 1949 by the Reader's Digest Association, Inc.

Still, it was amusing.

--
Eric Hocking
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"