birding-aus

Queensland's Rufous-bellied Kookaburra

Subject: Queensland's Rufous-bellied Kookaburra
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 18:17:37 +1000

Saibai, although politically part of Queensland, lies just off the New
Guinea coast, so the sighting is not particularly extraordinary and it
higlights the anomalies inherent in constructing bird lists for political
rather than geographic entities.

------------------------

We have always said the same about Victoria but people still continue to
include it on their lifelists.

If I remember correctly Papua was once part of Queensland. I forget the
year Chalmers claimed it. The Colonial Office didn't take the act
seriously, then subsequently took fright at the Germans in the north, moved
in and took responsibility in the early 1880s in conjunction with the
Parliaments of Qld, NSW and Vic. It was originally just to be with Qld and
NSW but Victoria were outraged at being left out and railed till the were
included (this is all true folks). How soon they forget!

Further, correct me if I am wrong again, the biogeographical entity is the
region defined by the Fly River environs, Torres Strait and Cape York. Many
of us have written papers about that.

What did you mean, Hugo? Victoria's hopes are riding on you!

Glen

South Brisbane, Australia