birding-aus

Swift records to date

Subject: Swift records to date
From: Simon Kennedy <>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:53:35 -0712 (EDT)

Hi birders,

About 20 replies have come in from the count weekend so far, and about 440
Swift Parrots have been sighted.  As in May, the Maryborough-Dunolly district
of
central Victoria still supports a number of birds, and there are still large
numbers
in the Bendigo area.  They are numerous near Heathcote (David Geering found
those) and there seems to be more in the Rushworth area now than in May.
Amazing to hear that more Swift Parrots are in Queensland, both at Toowoomba
and at the Gold Coast.  In response to Michael Atzeni's enquiry, yes Swift
Parrots often collide with wire netting.  The Gold Coast birds were discovered
in
this fashion as well, and about 40 dead or injured Swifties were handed in at
Hobart last summer, so it is a major problem.

In the past week in Victoria, birds have been recorded at:
Bendigo area
Wellsford, Mandurang, Marong, Shelbourne and Lockwood State Forests and
Whipstick State Park,

Maryborough-Dunolly area
Craigie, Havelock, Timor, Glenmona, Dunolly-Tarnagulla, Tunstalls and Kingower
State Forests and Moliagul Historic Reserve

Rushworth-Heathcote area
One Eye, Argyle, Spring Plains, Redcastle, Cornella, and Rushworth State
Forests

The You Yangs (Fred Smith 4/8) did anyone go on the weekend?

Of course many New South Wales birdos were kept inside by windy and wet
weather.  I have heard that quite a few will make it out this weekend.  I look
forward to seeing what they can find!  I haven't heard anything from west of
St.Arnaud yet, apart from one nil report.  I don't know if any have been seen
in
South Australia since the Millicent sighting.

Simon .K