birding-aus

Re: Southern Right Whales

To: "John Leonard" <>, <>
Subject: Re: Southern Right Whales
From: "Karen Pearson" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 21:24:36 +1000

>No about birds, but a closely related topic.
>
>What months of the year do Southern Right Whales arrive off the SA coast,
and
>where are good spots for observing them?
>
>John Leonard

John

The time is June to November.  Places I've read about are Victor Harbour and
around Encounter Bay, Kangaroo Island, Port Lincoln on the Eyre Peninsula
sounds interesting.  32 kms south of Port Lincoln is Whalers Way, which is a
spectacular 15 km road has 30 well sign posted stops with short walks to the
rugged cliff tops.  Some of the more spectacular spots have names from the
whaling days of "Whalechaser Crevasse, Mainsail Break, Sperm Whale Cliff,
Humpback Whale Blowhole, and Thar She Blows Lookout" .  Apparently parrots,
emus possum mice and kangeroos abound in this almost private sanctuary.  The
reading I have states that A Whalers Way permit and gate key are available
in Port Lincoln.  (Perhaps best to contact Port Lincoln tourist office for
up-to-date info if needed).   Guided tours can also be arranged.

WOW !!  I'm on my way.......

Also, the head of the Great Australian Bight and if you're really
adventurous there is always watching off the Nullabor clifftops !  The SA
museum runs some expeditions.... perhaps they may have more info?

If you make it there before me, have fun.

Rgds
Karen