birding-aus

RE: Early nesting, and eastern Western Gerygones

To: "'Osborn, Paul PR'" <>
Subject: RE: Early nesting, and eastern Western Gerygones
From: "Atzeni, Michael" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 13:46:04 +1000
Paul

I was also surprised recently to see Yellow-rumped Thornbills building a
well advanced nest at Helidon, east of Toowoomba, on 12th July.  I don't
have any previous data for comparison.

In the same area of acacia scrub I also saw Western Gerygones which may
be of interest to birders in SE Qld.  This site is east of the Great
Dividing Range for starters, and no doubt on the eastern edge of their
range, but they overwinter in this patch every year, arriving in May.

They are easily overlooked and the inexperienced might dismiss them as
White-throated Gerygones if they just go by the call.  As there appears
to be similar suitable habitat further east towards Brisbane,  I'm
curious to know just how much further east they get on a regular basis.
>From my experience, any acacia habitats supporting Buff-rumped
Thornbills are a good place to look.  Does anyone have records for the
Ipswich area or west Brisbane?

Keep them in mind as a genuine possibility when doing your Atlassing.

Regards
Michael Atzeni