birding-aus

Re: Barking owls and deutting

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: Re: Barking owls and deutting
From: James Davis <>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 15:16:52 +1000 (EST)
John:

   I had the same thought when I first learned about duetting in Magpie
Larks.  There is a paper by Susan Tingay in the Emu 74 titled "Antiphonal
song of the Magpis Lark". Depending upon how duetting is defined there are
probably alot of species that duet.  Of course, precise timing of singing
is one criteria but perhaps, we should include functionality as well.
Currently, I am trying to decide what criteria to use... any thoughts or
opinions?  Any other Australian species that you know duet? The Grey Crown
Babbler is probably one.

Cheers, Jim

Dr. Wm. James Davis, Editor
Interpretive Birding Bulletin