birding-aus

woodpecker drummings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subject: woodpecker drummings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From: lorne <>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 15:47:12 +0000
Hello birdlovers... Lorne again...

1. I bought 'Attenborough in Paradise' from an ABC shop for $30
yesterday. I'm dying to watch it. The green and vermillion cover is
beautiful. The doco came out in 1996, but I never saw it. It's set in
PNG and looks at various birds of paradise.

2. You can also purchase the BBC doco EAGLE from ABC shops for $25. It
is fabulous... rare Monkey-eating Eagle footage from the

3. Went to see a Robert Duvall film called THE APOSTLE last night. There
were some scenes set in thick riverside woodlands in Louisianna and
Texas. I'm sure I heard woodpecker drummings during these scenes. Can
anyone tell me more about woodpeckers or flickers in the southern states
of the USA? Are there indeed woodpeckers in these areas? What are the
differences in the sounds of their peckings/drummings? I will consult a
birdsong CD I've got in the meantime.

Thanks a lot folks,

Lorne.