birding-aus

RFI N.E. Australia

Subject: RFI N.E. Australia
From: Barry Levine <>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:50:58 -0700 (PDT)
Friends,
This is my first post to your group, so I hope it goes right. Please let
me know if I have committed any errors.  My wife and I will be visiting
Australia for 36 days.  We land in Cairns on 7/13 and have six nights of
hotels there.  We are pretty much open for the rest of the trip. We have a
spate of questions that usually seem to be best answered by the experts
(you and other listmembers).
        Which guide book(s) would you recommend?
        Are there any guides in either the Cairns area, or other areas
that we could see in the time that we're there, that you would recommend?
        How much territory can we realistically cover?
        Any spots that are must sees at this time of the year?
        Any rarities and good spots to see them that you can recommend?
        Any ideas about reliable yet inexpensive car rental agencies?
        Would it make sense to purchase a car and sell it when we leave?

We are also interested in seeing the unique flora and fauna. Any
suggestions about areas that are better to visit this time of the year?

I hope I haven't inundated you with too many questions.  Always hard to go
to a country the size of Australia without having a large number of
questions. Thanks for any and all help. Take care.

Barry Levine

Seattle, Wa. USA