birding-aus

ROYAL NATIONAL PARK AND TOWRA POINT (BOTANY BAY) NSW -14TH JUNE 1 998

To: "" <>
Subject: ROYAL NATIONAL PARK AND TOWRA POINT (BOTANY BAY) NSW -14TH JUNE 1 998
From: "Vella, Edwin" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 08:12:11 +1000
ROYAL NATIONAL PARK AND TOWRA POINT (BOTANY BAY) NSW -14TH JUNE 1998

Like many other birdo's would agree who were present at the sandflats in
front of Bonnie Vale camping area in the Royal NP, the best bird around
Sydney lately would probably go to its own Beach Stone-curlew. It was quite
an approachable bird (compared to one I have seen before in QLD) and I was
able to get within 5 metres while it moved about in the open along the flats
and when it prepared for its day nap on the grass. It didn't appeared to be
bothered by the casual birdo observing it. Earlier on, however, it was quite
unhappy with a small group of Ravens and it stretched out it wings
(revealing their large white patches) and while calling, came charging at
these Black beach scavengers. This bird allowed great photo and video
opportunities, and I must say that it looks like some sort of muppet
character especially with its huge bill when viewed from front on. An
Immature Mangrove Heron was seen feeding at the small inlet nearby aswell as
3 Sacred Kingfishers that have over-wintered. A brilliant male Rose Robin
was also observed in the mangroves.

In the Heathland along Sir Bertram Steven Drive, large flocks of Honeyeaters
were about including several Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters which were very
attracted to their imitations (2 Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters perched within a
couple of metres as a result). I also saw 2 combatting in mid air. A
beautiful Honeyeater indeed!

In the Rainforest near Audley, one or two Bassian Thrushes allowed a close
approach, and Large-billed Scrubwrens were about. Some of the Cabbage-Tree
Palms here were in fruit, but all I could see feeding on it, were Lewins
Honeyeaters. No Rainforest Pigeons or Green Catbirds were in sight.

I spent the afternoon at Towra Point Nature Reserve in the Botany Bay Area
(a permit is required from the NSW National Parks Office though). I actaully
walked the whole distance to Towra beach (about an hours walk) and saw a few
over-wintering shorebirds, notably Whimbrel and Bar-tailed Godwit. White
fronted Chats and Southern Emu-wrens were flushed from the salt-marsh
alongside the tracks.

Edwin Vella