birding-aus

Windang, NSW

Subject: Windang, NSW
From: "P.J. Milburn" <>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 17:07:03 +1000 (EST)
As a result of a westerly gale, the Wollongong Pelagic Trip scheduled for
last Sunday (24/5/98) had to be cancelled.  On my way back to Canberra I
called in at Windang (at the entrance to Lake Illawarra) and gave myself a
thorough sand-blasting!!

As well as acquiring a high sheen and stripping  both the optical coating
from my bins and the enamel from my teeth  I saw some rather interesting
birds.

Double-banded Plover - 30+including several adults in near breeding plumage
Reds-capped Plover 20+
Red-necked Stint 5 - all non-breeding plumage
Ruddy Turnstone 7 - varying from non-breeding plumage to 1 in all its
breeding glory.
Bar-tailed Godwit 5 - all non-breeding
Pacific Gull 2 - A first year and a second year bird.

There have been a number of Pacific Gulls in the Kiama region lately.  I
noted 2 first year and 3 second year birds at Black Head (Gerroa) on  9th
May.

cheers
Milburn

Dr.Peter Milburn
Biomolecular Resource Facility
The Australian Nation University
GPO Box 334 Canberra ACT 0200  AUSTRALIA
Phone No.  <61> <6> 249 4326
Fax No.    <61> <6> 249 4326
E-mail Address