birding-aus

Ni-cads for GPS

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Ni-cads for GPS
From: "John Walter" <>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 13:19:32 +1000
My advise for GPS use is not to use rechargeables . A Mapping and Survey
firm in Toowoomba who use and sell Magellan told me this, the explanation
was that alkaline batteries retain their voltage until near their life end
and with Ni-cad batteries the voltage drops continuously so that you could
be using your GPS on a damagingly low voltage. The firm does a lot of
survey work in western Qld. with Magellan and regularly get 24 hours
continuous use out of AA batteries. I have not had my Pioneer long enough
to find out for sure, but I have had it on for 10 hours at a time and
battery level is still well up.
John Walter
POBox 180
Pittsworth