birding-aus

Must see behaviours

To: OZ Bird Listserve <>
Subject: Must see behaviours
From: James Davis <>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 10:59:03 +1000 (EST)
Dear list members:

  I have an unusal request. As bird-watchers, most of us are interested in
keeping lists of the birds we have seen - e.g. lifelists, country,
regional lists, etc.  A good many observers also keep notes on other
aspects of the birds that they see - as is evident from the resonses on
this list.  Personally, I enjoy watching behaviour and along this line I
would be interested in learning what other bird-watchers consider to be
"must see behaviours" or unsual behaviour for any Australian species.

For example, "foot tapping" is an interesting behaviour; mound building in
Brush-turkeys; carrying grass-stems during courtship by some finches, and
"tumbling" by Blue-bonnet parrots to mention a few.  Feel free to list as
many behaviours as you wish.

If you care to response, please response privately so as not to clutter-up
the Birding-Aus list.  I will gladly compile the list of responses and
e-mail a copy to any interested person on the list (or to the list if
requested by Peter).

Please include (if known): species name, sex of bird, date, place and
context in which the behaviour was observed.

Cheers, Jim

Dr. Wm. James Davis
e-mail