birding-aus

Re: Port Fairy Booby

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: Port Fairy Booby
From: Eric Hocking <>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 15:05:01 +1000
Dr Richard Nowotny wrote:

> Aren't the odds pretty high that this was an inadvertently incorrect call of
> a juvenile Gannet?

The odds of it being a juvenile Gannet are good, I admit.
Distinguished from it by the solid chocolate brown, not spotted back like
the Gannet.  Also the brown extended further than a hood, down it's chest.
Additionally I've seen the Brown Booby at close quarters on an oil rig off
the NW coast of Australia, as well as many Gannets.

Killarney Beach is about 15km east of Port Fairy.

--
Eric Hocking "A closed mouth gathers no feet."
::   Melbourne, Australia   ::