birding-aus

Trip report:Western Treatment Plant

Subject: Trip report:Western Treatment Plant
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:08:52 +1000
Hi everyone,
        I finally got down to the Western Treatment Plant yesterday and was
rewarded with a great days birdwatching including excellent views of the
Red-necked Phalarope.  The Phalarope is a really sharp looking bird
especially as it is in almost complete breeding plumage now.  The small
grassy pond it is on (37 59.748 S 144 38.264 E for those with GPS but
Richard's directions are easy to follow and spot on) is a very good area
with a host of good birds at the moment.  Within the space of about 100
metres there are Pectoral Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Sharp-tailed
Sandpiper, Curlew Sandpiper (some in almost complete breeding plumage),
Red-necked Stint, Red-kneed Dotterel, Black-fronted Dotterel and a host
of ducks and other common water birds.
        Other highlights for the day were 1)  The Wood Sandpipers (still at
least 3);  I think they look much more striking than the field guides
suggest.  The heavy spotting on the back and bright yellow legs is very
impressive.  Sitting in the car eating lunch while watching them eat
theirs was great.  2)  Seeing a Lewin's Rail at the site which Mark
Bennett mentioned.  The view I got yesterday was not as clear as the one
Mark wrote about last week as the birds never came completely out into
the open but it was still memorable.  3)  The raptors; people have
recently been writing about excellent raptor sites and while not best in
Australia or even probably Victoria the Treatment Plant is pretty good.
Yesterday I saw six (Whistling Kite, Swamp Harrier, Little Eagle, Brown
Falcon, Australian Hobby and Black falcon) and I missed the virtually
unmissable Black-shouldered Kite and Nankeen Kestrel.  The numbers of
Whistling Kites are very high at the moment and may have influenced the
timidity of the Lewin's Rail as the area was being monitored fairly
regularly by one Kite.  4)  And finally the interesting compact group of
cormorants etc. resting on the 15E outlet drain which included Darter
(5) (more than I have seen previously in Southern Victoria), Little
Black Cormorant (5), Little Pied Cormorant (lots) and Pied Cormorant
(lots).

List
Musk Duck
Black Swan