birding-aus

Birding-Aus Directions

Subject: Birding-Aus Directions
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 17:03:18 +1000
Hi folks

Thanks for your thoughts on the directions for Birding-Aus.
For the time being, the list will stay as it is, but I think that there
may be room for a newsgroup as well - it probably should have a slightly
narrower focus, such as behaviour or conservation of Aussie birds, etc.
I'll look into this when I get back in a fortnight (unless someone else
jumps in and starts the ball rolling - if so, I don't mind the
announcement coming via Birding-Aus, but please direct all the POLLING
to a private email account - we don't want an extra 300+ messages about
it!)

There are already other mailinglists springing up.  the SEABIRD-L has
been around for a couple of years or longer, there is also a WADER-L,
and soon a list for 'serious ornithologists' is going to operate out of
Latrobe University.  I'm sure you'll hear something about it via
Birding-Aus if you're interested.

I appreciate the time and effort that the subscribers contribute to keep
things ticking along.  This forum would be nothing at all without the
MESSAGES!  Thanks, especially, to people who post regular reports from
around Australia (and abroad), and to those who jump in to help with the
RFI's.  I hope that many of you also get the chance to meet up with
other Birding-Aus readers here and overseas.  This is what I've enjoyed
most of all from this group.

Have a Happy Easter and good birding to everyone!

Russell Woodford
List Maintainer