birding-aus

RE: Talking of Records!

To: "" <>
Subject: RE: Talking of Records!
From: ANTHONY OVERS <>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 12:02:18 +1000
It's great when this sort of thing happens. I have seen on a few occasions a
large number of species from the same family or group of birds. Here are a few
examples of mine from recent times:

Recently a friend of mine and I heard and saw four species of owl in about half
an hour, on the south coast of NSW:

Masked Owl
Sooty Owl
Southern Boobook
Powerful Owl

Three other night birds were also present:
Tawny Frogmouth
Australian Owlet-nightjar
White-throated Nightjar

Recently in south-east Queensland I had the pleasure of hearing and seeing
eight species of pigeon/dove in a day:

Superb Fruit-dove
Rose-crowned Fruit-dove
Wompoo Fruit-dove
Common Bronzewing
Brown Cuckoo-dove
Emerald Dove
Wonga Pigeon
White-headed Pigeon

Lastly, during some survey work near Tumut a while ago I saw three species of
whistler in three minutes:

Golden Whistler
Olive Whistler
Rufous Whistler