birding-aus

Re: Raptor Olympics

Subject: Re: Raptor Olympics
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 16:08:34 +1000
At 14:58 6/04/98 +1000, Alex wrote:

>But let's not turn this into some North v South scrap; that's what State of
>Origin rugby is for.  My original posting asked if a bag of 10 raptor
>species was a possible record (now we know that it's not) and whether other
>countries could equal or better this.  Then I'll know which country to flee
>to whilst the Sydney Olympics are on.

I think that Africa would have to be one of the best for BoP diversity.

Looking over some of my BirdInfo files, my best seems to be 17 at
the Kalahari Gemsbok NP, in South Africa:

Black-winged Kite, White-backed Vulture, Lappet-faced Vulture
Black-chested Snake-Eagle, Bateleur,
Pale Chanting-Goshawk, Gabar Goshawk, Shikra
Jackal Buzzard, Tawny Eagle, Martial Eagle
Secretarybird
Pygmy Falcon, Eurasian Kestrel, Greater Kestrel, Red-necked Falcon
Lanner Falcon

followed by 15 species in Hwange NP in Zimbabwe, or five eagles
(Martial, Crowned, Black, Wahlberg's & Tawny) in the Matobo NP in
Zim.

These are all from fairly short visits, the total lists would be much
longer.

Cheers

pete

Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Vet Pathology & Anatomy
School of Veterinary Science              Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072             WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)