birding-aus

Cardiac output and metabolism of diving birds

Subject: Cardiac output and metabolism of diving birds
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 19:47:54 +1000
At 03:28 PM 4/1/98 +0800, Shane Raidal wrote:

>So in summary I also don't buy the reduced heart rate as an indicator of
>decreased metabolism.  You can explain it other ways. The cardiac output
>could still be the same or even increased if only the brain and muscles are
>receiving the bulk of the blood flow.  This is the key : heart rate does
>not = cardiac output.

>Of course I could be totally wrong and don't mind being proved so.

Shane, I agree with this last point. However, it appears that diving birds
DO have a decreased cardiac output when their heart rate decreases during a
dive. I can't find any data for penguins (maybe I haven't been looking hard
enough), but Johansen & Aakhus (1963) found that blood stroke volume in
ducks remained the same during a dive, while cardiac output decreased
(Johansen 1964).

Prosser (1974) states that the Pekin Duck reduces its metabolic rate by 90%
and its heart rate to between 5-8% of its pre-dive rate during a prolonged
dive. Similar results have been found in seals (Scholander 1940), Domestic
Ducks (Scholander 1940, Andersen 1959, Pickwell 1968) and the American
Alligator (Andersen 1961).

>Can anyone remember how we started this discussion ???????

Phew, it HAS been a bit of a marathon, hasn't it? Didn't Mauro have
something to do with it??????