birding-aus

Re: Yellow-faced Honeyeaters Migrating

To: Paul Fennell <>,
Subject: Re: Yellow-faced Honeyeaters Migrating
From: David McDonald <>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 17:41:00 +1000
Paul, you have not been listening to the Canberra Ornithologists Group Hotline
(phone (02) 6247 5530). Last weekend, Sunday 22 Mar 1998, I counted 2,750 in 45
minutes at the Tharwa Sandwash. (For non-locals, this is on the Murrumbigee
River on the southern outskirts of Canberra.) Migrating south. Looks like they
are moving a month early. We have had small migrating flocks over our Kambah
(southern suburb of Canberra) home all week. Today (Sunday 29 March 1998) there
were many small flocks in the vicinity of Fishing Gap in the ACT's Tidbinbilla
Nature Reserve/Namadji National Park.

Our usual observation in Canberra is that the first cold weather gets them
moving, and that is late April, but Sunday 22nd was 35 degrees celcius, a
strong, hot NW wind, total fire ban day, the middle of an awful drought. Perhaps
they decided enough is enough, and are heading to the coast early.

David

--

David McDonald
PO Box 1355, Woden ACT 2606, Australia