birding-aus

Re Bird CD's rather than drivel

Subject: Re Bird CD's rather than drivel
From: Barbara Stewart <>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 18:02:43 +1000
I have to agree with the comments of Mauro Maurovic about "garbage".

Recently, quality of bird sound on CD-ROMS was a topic drawing quite a lot
of comment.

As I have an interest in providing CD's of bird calls on an Australia wide
basis, I posed a number of questions on birding-aus about what do birders
want regarding bird calls in a CD.

At the time I had a great interest in looking at incoming mail from
birding-aus subscribers about quality of bird calls on commercial
productions. I had 11 responses and to those who responded I am extremely
grateful and I had hoped for a lot more. I continue to read incoming mail
which takes a lot of time.

Having asked for comments in a public forum about what birders want in a
commercial sound production BEFORE PRODUCTION I am going to be most unhappy
if comments come in thick and fast AFTER THE PRODUCT IS RELEASED about what
was not provided!

Let us work at making birding BETTER for birders.

Having bagged drivel I feel compelled to give my favourite 8 birds
(recording sound of the 8 Grasswren species - you have to get very close to
get good quality sound).

My original message seeking comment about sound for Bird CD's is included.

David Stewart.