birding-aus

RE: Garden Birds

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: RE: Garden Birds
From: "Osborn, Paul PR" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 11:23:29 +1100
        Tom Tarrant said:
        >Without sounding too smug I just had a look at my garden-list,
>and I've counted 10 parrot species on the block, but I'm sure >that
there are places in North Queensland that can top
         >this... we live 50 kms north of Brisbane.
        >Any takers?

Our backyard parrot list stands at 15; admittedly, our backyard is 24
acres (used to be 33, until the F3 freeway, but that's another story)
and this is over a twenty year period.

> 1.Australian King-parrot
> 2. Eastern Rosella
> 3.Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo
> 4.Glossy Black-cockatoo
> 5.Galah
> 6.Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
> 7.Little Corella
> 8.Rainbow Lorikeet
      9. Little Lorikeet
        10. Gang-Gang Cockatoo
        11.Scaly-breasted Lorikeet
        12. Musk Lorikeet
        13. Crimson Rosella
      14. Swift Parrot
      15. Turquoise Parrot

The last four of these have been seen only once or twice. Swift Parrots
flew over once (1997), a flock of 6 Turquoise Parrots hung around for
several weeks back in about 1978 and may well have been aviary escapes,
they haven't been seen since. The rest are regular visitors.

Paul Osborn