birding-aus

Black Falcon

To: "'ozbird'" <>
Subject: Black Falcon
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:24:43 +1000
With all this chatter about good birds, bad birds, etc., it does depend
a bit on the circumstances, how good the view was, and so on.  A group
of us (Stuart Dashper, Susan Myers, Malea Kneen, Mike McLeish, me)
yesterday got what could could only be described as a crippling view of
a Black Falcon.  We were pulling in to the bottom of Pyramid Hill in
northern Victoria near Kerang, it was about 40 degrees C in the shade.
Watching one of a number of Black Kites soaring around, we caught sight
of a big, black, long-tailed falcon which buzzed the kite on its way
through.  The falcon landed in a tree near the road.  Black Falcons are
ALWAYS good to see, but it was a lifer for Mike and Malea, so we drove
down and parked near the tree.  There was the Black Falcon in full view
about 15m away - sensational!  Black Falcons strike fear into just about
anything avian out on the plains, and it's clear why when viewed closely
- huge muscular torso, big long-taloned feet.  Such an impressive bird!

Lawrie Conole
58 Holden Street, Fitzroy North 3068 Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Phone AH (03) 9486 4575
Ph Mob (0419) 588 993
Email <>