birding-aus

Best ten yard birds.

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Best ten yard birds.
From: "Ian Clayton" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 21:57:36 +1000
Ian's best ten yard Birds:

 1.   Plum-headed Finch, a small flock came in and used the bird
      bath on a stinking hot day in January three years ago.

 2.  Black-throated Finch, used to visit the garden quite regularly
     not seen in the yard since the drought, we have had a good
     wet season so who knows?

 3.  Tawny Frogmouth, a pair have bred in the yard for the last
     four years, using the same nest site, this season they had
     two broods.

 4.  Barking Owl, only visits the yard in winter if you can call it
     that, nice to wake up to on a freezing (14 degrees) morning.
     (They may be around all year but only call in winter).

 5.  Black-chinned Honeyeater, the only place I have seen them
     is in the yard.   Four sightings in twelve years.

 6.  Brown Honeyeater,  What an absolutely beautiful call to start
     the day.

 7.  Squatter Pigeon, an occasional visitor.   Nice to see running
      around the garden.

 8.  Fuscous Honeyeater, a seldom visitor.

 9.  Little Eagle, just a fly-by.

10. Yellow-bellied Sunbird, who in Nth. Qld. could leave this little
       gem off their list, they have bred around the house veranda
       several times.

Not bad seeing I only have one hundred too choose from.

Ian Clayton
Townsville
North Qld.
Phone 07 4789 1306