birding-aus

Bird Strikes Newlands/Collinsville/Abbot Point Rail link

Subject: Bird Strikes Newlands/Collinsville/Abbot Point Rail link
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 20:49:34 PST
Last year I brought to the attention of subscribers the problem with Owl
strikes and trains on the NCA Rail link.
The good news on this particular problem is that we have nearly full
compliance by Train Drivers in taking action to avoid strikes by Owls.
The Owls still settle on the rail lines and are fairly easily picked up
by the headlights of the locomotives.
Once observed the Driver should turn the headlight off thereby allowing
the Owl to avoid the approaching danger. If this procedure is followed
there is every chance that the Owl and Locomotive will avoid one
another. I am so pleased with the cooperation of my fellow Drivers and
receive regular updates from some individuals in respect to protecting
our fauna.

I have been providing details of owl strikes on the back of my Bird of
Prey countsheets the following number of strikes have occurred since the
1 November I997 to 12 March 1998.
11/11/97   Online 3   Flying 4  Strike 2   Total observed 7
13/11/97              0             0            0
0
17/11/97              0             2            0
2
13/12/97              1             3            1
4
14/12/97              2             0            0
2
17/12/97              1             4            1
5
27/12/97              3             0            0
3
12/01/98              0             0            0
0
15/01/98              4             0            0
4
01/02/98              3             0            1
3
07/02/98              2             0            0
2
08/02/98              0             2            0
2
18/02/98              1             1            1
2
01/03/98              1             1            0
2
09/03/98              5             4            2
9

Apart from the nocturnal birds above I also recorded the following
strikes. 1 Common Bronzewing, 2 Squatter Pigeons, 1 Pheasant Coucal, 1
Tawny Frogmouth dead on wagon at Abbott Point.
On one night as we departed the mine we were going through Kangaroo Ck
when we came across a large Python spni stretched out across the track,
there is nothing you can do and you just hope it gets across in time.
Pheasant Coucals are refered to as the "last minute bird" by my fellow
drivers they leave it until the last minute to get out of the way. Not
the best subject to write about but we must acknowledge and identify the
threats to our wildlife.

Jon Wren Bowen Queensland  Qld Rail Depot Pring

13/12/98              1             3             1