birding-aus

Brown Cuckoo-Doves in NT?

Subject: Brown Cuckoo-Doves in NT?
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:11:41 +1100 (EST)
Looking at my note-book for our NT trip last July I see that I recorded
Brown Cuckoo-Dove from the monsoon forest at Howard Springs, just outside
Darwin.

Checking this I find that B C-Ds aren't supposed to found in the NT (I just
noted the bird at the time and wrote it down, assuming the they were found
all across northern Australia).

I'm very familar with the species (from the Brisbane area, northern
Queensland and further south) and what other species could I have
misidentified ? (I had good views of the bird).

Is it more likely to have been a Cape York bird flapping west, or a Timorese
bird flapping south-east? Has anyone else ever seen a B C-D in the NT? Who
should I report it to?

John Leonard (Dr),
PO Box 243,
Woden, ACT 2606

'Nature always withdraws her gifts sooner or
later.'                    Fernand Braudel

http://www.spirit.net.au/~jleonard