birding-aus

Clinking sound, Grey Currawong ?

Subject: Clinking sound, Grey Currawong ?
From: Peter Pfeiffer <>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 08:55:13
Hi all,
        I just wish to confirm an ID problem I have had for a few weeks.
 I have just recently moved into a new house slightly further into the
hills around Adelaide in the suburb of Happy Valley. I,ve been hearing this
Clinking sound similar to an Adelaide Rosella's call.
        Yesterday I saw the bird in question briefly for a few seconds flying
away
from me. It was a large slender black bird with white on it's tail tips. I
didn't see any white on the wings. It's wings were folded next to it's body
at times with an undulating flight.
        After consulting Slater, I came up with a dark brown - black form of the
Grey Currawong.  Do you think this is correct ?

Peter.

Peter Pfeiffer
Dept. of  Chemistry
Flinders University of  South Australia