birding-aus

SA birding: feedback and appeal

Subject: SA birding: feedback and appeal
From: (Peter Ryan)
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 12:36:51 +0200
Hi all

Many thanks to those of you who responded to our questionnaire regarding
birding trips to South Africa.  I haven't responded to most people
individually, but we appreciate your time and effort answering the
questions.  I thought at least some people might be interested in seeing
the preliminary results, and it might prod others into action (to that end
I append the questionnaire again!)

70 answers were received from 13 countries, with the main contributions
from the USA (15), Australia (14), UK (12) and Netherlands (7).  Most
people had visited South Africa in the last few years, and most trips were
made in spring-summer (August-January).  Average trip length was 22 days,
and party size 3.8 birders (biased by several large groups).  Most people
came on independently-organised tours and saw on average 330 species (range
70-550).  The average cost was $100 per day (range $20-400!)

If you'd like to contribute to this study (which is designed to estimate
the value of bird-related tourism in South Africa as a tool to promote
conservation), please answer the following simple questions:

1.  When did you visit South Africa? (month and year)
Please note if it was NOT a dedicated birding trip (e.g. here on business)

2.  How long was your visit? (if you visited more than one country during
your visit, give the total length and the number of days in South Africa)

3.  How many people were in your group?

4.  Did you come on an organised tour or independently?
If it was an organised tour, was it organised by a company based in South
Africa, elsewhere in Africa, or overseas?

5.  How much did the trip cost? (excluding the airfare to reach South Africa)

6.  How many bird species did you see? (approximately)

7.  What made you choose South Africa as a birding destination?

Many thanks for your assistance with this project.

Peter Ryan & Jane Turpie

 Peter G Ryan
  FitzPatrick Institute
   University of Cape Town