birding-aus

Re: Lesser Vultures

To: <>
Subject: Re: Lesser Vultures
From: "Phil Joy" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 23:02:05 +0800
Hallo to all,
                Simpson and Day has it that CBM's are primarily seed eaters
and "when breeding, eat insects, especially flying termites.  Possibly
the CBM's have also heard of the food value of maggots .

In his book, Shorebirds of Australia, John Pringle says of the Ruddy
Turnstone, and I quote: " Turnstones are voracious feeders that eat almost
anything.  They have been seen to feed on carrion, though more often
perhaps, they are searching for the maggots or larvae of blowflies which
breed in it.  In the Pribilof Islands in the Bering Sea, thousands of
turnstones fatten up each year before their southward migration by feasting
on maggots from the carcasses of fur seals that are slaughtered in July."
He then goes on to say that sometimes they grow so fat on this abundant food
they have difficulty in flying.

Phil Joy
P O Box 21
Broome