birding-aus

Re: Malaysian electricity info

To: "John Leonard" <>
Subject: Re: Malaysian electricity info
From: "Susan Myers" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 18:54:52 +1100

> I'm going to West Malaysia in April and want to take my spotlight gear
with me.

> But, if I can't recharge the battery then there's no point, and I'd be
> better off buying a flashlight when I get there.
>
> What voltage and hertz is the Malaysian supply? And what are the plugs
like?
> If they're not Australian-style are adaptors available?

Hi John,
The voltage is the same as here - 220-240 volts but the plugs are
different- English style I think. You can get adaptors at most
travel/outdoor shops. Shouldn't be a problem if you are staying at
relatively upmarket places.
The bigger problem may be getting permission to carry the batteries on the
plane. You should ring the airline to get permission and tell them what
sort of equipment you have. In my experience they will probably only let
you take gel cell batteries and even then you will have to make a number of
phone calls. We have found that the 5-cell maglite torches are a lot less
fuss and give reasonable lumination (although a spotlight is always
preferable). If you take a maglite be sure to take extra globes just in
case! (that's another story............)
Susan

Susan Myers
phone: +61 3 9819 2539
Email:Susan Myers